- Read About Our Services
- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
With the extensive breeder relationships that Advanced Animal Care engages in, we realize how much effort, energy, money and emotion go into each and every breeding that you perform! Our goal is to be complete support for our breeders from the breeding itself all the way through weaning of each puppy. When creating our new facility in 2011, we contemplated how to solve the issue of being far from our many breeder clients when they were really in their biggest time of need, during whelping. Many dystocias as well as fetal losses can be avoided with minimal interventions and unfortunately many emergency hospitals and general practitioners close to our breeder’s homes are not prepared for these emergencies. To solve the dilemma, we created a whelping room in our facility that is dedicated to natural whelping of our breeding bitches. This room allows our breeders (experienced or novice) to whelp their bitches in our hospital and be in the right place if an emergency were to occur! This room is fully equipped with everything necessary for natural puppy delivery and parturition care of the bitch and is tucked into a quiet corner of the hospital (but still viewable by the support team). We invite our breeders to reserve the whelping room and plan their natural whelping in our facility and have us at a finger’s reach for any emergency situation. We provide many natural services to assist in whelping as well including herbal remedies, acupuncture and environmental enrichment.
How it works:
1. Schedule with us for use of the room on your calculated whelping date based on ovulation timing or gestational aging by ultrasound (don’t worry – we will help with figuring out the date).
No charge for the use of the room during regular business hours
Our team will monitor fetal heartbeats intermittently for fetal distress
All necessary items for natural whelping will be provided
Includes a high quality whelping box, radiant heat lamp, incubator, bedding, nasal bulbs, hemostats, etc.
A kitchen, shower, and a sleeping bench are provided so make yourself at home, we want you to have everything you need to be comfortable staying for the duration. Bring a sleeping bag and food and you should be set!
2. Adjust the reservation earlier or later based on the bitch's temperature drop, on-sent of stage I labor signs or any concerns that you have – just call and tell us you are on your way – we will be ready for you!
3. We will provide a C-Section alert team, a knowledgeable doctor on call and anything necessary for an emergency – We are very prepared if there is an issue! We can move to a C-Section and have a bitch in surgery in less than 10 minutes if needed.
4. Charges associated with this service:
If whelping continues beyond normal business hours – we will assign an overnight care nurse to stay with you and the bitch and help monitor and assist for our standard overnight care fee of $200.
Any intervention performed requiring medications, an IV catheter, fluids, acupuncture, surgery, etc – will be charged for the services provided. We will quote you for anything before we perform it.
We love whelping in our facility and know that this can help you have a more positive experience without the normal stressors you experience whelping at home. We look forward to helping! Call us or come by for a tour of the facility at anytime.